Sunday, March 17, 2019

On Nothing, But Maybe Everything (jk. idk)

Hello, my public online diary.

Yesterday was nice. I slept in, made breakfast, and went for a bike ride in the Sunset District. It was a beautiful and sunny day. I biked through the Golden Gate Park, then stopped by Green Apple Bookstore, the local bookstore in my neighborhood. Browsed the shelves for a few hours and found lots of used books I'm excited about -- lots of new ones that are now added to my "books I will someday read, but in the meantime, they look nice on my bookshelf" pile. 

Currently, my favorite author is Banana Yoshimoto. She's a Japanese author famous for her book, "Kitchen." I haven't read Kitchen and don't know too much about what the book is about; I'm currently reading "Amrita" and I love it. The overarching themes fall on death, family, and understanding how our pasts form our futures. It's just...Yoshimoto's way with words... how she draws you in with these seemly minute (but romantic) passages, then she surprises you with a line that is out of the ordinary and you're left wondering, "Wait. What just happened?" Or "Okay, that was a bit too abstract for me to understand and fully appreciate," but I want to understand and appreciate it. I want to appreciate all the words she strings together!!!! She's such a great storyteller and she takes you on quite an imaginative journey. I mostly like how she makes ordinary, everyday events innocent and intimate, maybe even special, much like the breeze that creeps through an open window on a sunny Sunday afternoon. 

Anyway, I found a used book of hers, piqued the cashier's attention, and we talked about Yoshimoto's books for a while (first human interaction in a long time!).

Just kidding. I see people. Sometimes. 

She suggested another Yoshimoto book of short stories titled, "Lizard," that I also found used and have already started to read. Ah, it's so good, dude. So good. 

I forgot what the point of this post was. I guess it's a diary so it's okay that nothing makes sense. I'm just spilling my thoughts but on a different medium. My hands always end up too tired, too uncomfortable, and hurting when I handwrite and so, I can never finish what I started. I'm a big baby, I know... but typing on here is nice. And honestly, this helps me be better at articulating my thoughts... and improve my writing (I hope). Okay, I am rambling again. 

Well, I guess the point is, I had a good weekend and that was nice. (Wow, I need to expand my vocabulary. Everything is just "nice.")

Alright, I'm done. I'm going to submit this and permanently upload on to the internet. At least when I'm long gone (due to death), these thoughts will remain in the Cloud.

The new cover of Amrita taken with bad lighting and edited pretty terribly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quote

"Cheese, it's milk that you chew. Crackers, because your cheese needs a buddy. A grape, because who can get a watermelon in their mouth? The phone, bringing you closer to people...who have phones! Bagels and doughnuts, round food for every mood. Pants, like shorts, but longer. " -Chandler Bing